FaceWorks is a Certified Gold Product Which Extends the SolidWorks Mold Engineering Capabilities
It provides powerful design tools that automate and simplify the most difficult and complex tasks in the mold design process for SolidWorks users such as parting line generation, parting surface generation and core/cavity splitting. It was specifically developed and tested with continuous input from mold designers and manufacturers. Users benefit from standard SolidWorks functions complemented with specialized, easy-to-use tools that simplify the tool-making process dramatically and minimize costs and manufacturing times.
FaceWorks combines the best practices for solid and surfacing modeling concepts, offering hybrid and associative mold design for professionals. Specialized surface generation algorithms are provided for automatic generation of parting surfaces with most complex forms such as 2.5D and 3D. Modeling tools are also provided for the creation of cavities, cores, sliders, lifters and sub-inserts in combination with 3D-solid modeling techniques and SolidWorks associative operations.
- Organized and Clear Workflow – FaceWorks automates the whole mold design process and eliminates the tedious manual work required by SolidWorks users.
- Easy to Use – Does not require an expert user.
- Draft Advisor – Automatically determines optimal mold opening directions.
- Automatic Parting Line – Can easily split the most complex parts.
- Multi-split – Necessary for automatic definition of sliders, inserts and moving elements.
- Split Animation – Fast, easy assignment of faces to folders.
- Proprietary Algorithms for Parting Surface Generation – Provides parting surface generation techniques not available in SolidWorks:o
- 2.5 D and 3D surface with extrusion control
- 3D Radiate
- 3D Sweep
- 3D surface with extrusion parallel to pull direction
- Guide curves loft approximation
- Easy to redefine existing surface.
- Closing Openings and Shutoffs – Automatically closes complex shutoffs on complex parts, saving hours of work.
- Full Associativity of All Mold Parts – Tracks all changes and automatically updates design.
FaceWorks has been proven to drastically reduce the amount of time required to solve the most complex tool designs. Price, automation, and ease of use provide a quick return on investment in only 1 or 2 design projects.
How it Works
FaceWorks provides powerful design tools that automate and simplify the most difficult and complex tasks in the mold design process in SolidWorks. It was specifically developed and tested with continuous input from mold designers and manufacturers. Users benefit from standard SolidWorks functions complemented with specialized, easy-to-use tools that simplify the tool-making process dramatically and minimize costs and manufacturing times.
Mold Design Functions
FaceWorks contains all the necessary tools to produce high quality molds within the SolidWorks environment. FaceWorks performs the parting process on either a solid model or a sewn set of surfaces (skin) that do not form a solid. The advanced modeling tools include the following:
Draft Angle Analysis
- Single-split in user defined pull direction.
- Multi-split with insert definition.
- Automatic face classification into separate folders: core (Blue), cavity (Green), inserts (Gray), undercuts (Red).
- Split animation (with color code).
- Manual face assignment / classification in split animation mode into folders: from project tree or from the geometry.
- On line monitoring of draft angle analysis changes according to the pull direction.
The parting line is automatically generated in such a way that it always forms a closed loop. Problematic segments such undercuts are automatically split and assigned to respective core or cavity.
- Automatic parting line generation on solids and non-solids (without 100% mold-ability).
- Automatic parting line adaption if a model is changed.
- Manual parting line editing using edges from the geometry.
- Grouping of internal and external parting lines.
- Automatic generation of multiple parting lines for inserts (moving sliders).
- Comparing physical openings with loops generated by incorrect normal face direction.
- User defined parting line on solid or surface model.
- Possibility to work on hybrid (mixed solid-surface) model.
- Automatic parting line generation
- Creation of guide curves along parting line as sketches.
Guide curves generated as sketches
Parting surface generated from guide curves
FaceWorks provides functions that will automatically close complex openings.
- Automatic closing of complex openings using: curvature criteria, 2.5D or planar surface.
- Operates on hybrid (mixed solid-surface) models.
- Hiding parting line by extending shut-off surface to parting line from the model.
Automatically closed with FaceWorks
FaceWorks uses proprietary approximation algorithms to create the most complex parting surfaces to meet special model design and manufacturing objectives such as:
- Support for complex injection molds, rubber molds, compression molds, investment casting, alloy casting, and sheet metal die design.
- Parting surface can be easily modified by editing the guide curves.
- Hiding the parting line from the visible side of the injected part.
- Introducing controlled undercuts, for example, shut-offs.
FaceWorks offers these parting surface techniques:
- 2.5D surface with controlled extrusion direction
- 3D Radiate - on a large distance from the model
- 3D Sweep
- 3D Extrusion with controlled extrusion direction
- 3D Extrusion parallel to the pull direction (for hiding the parting line)
- Editing existing parting surface using guide curve loft approximation
With FaceWorks, associativity is not limited. The model can be changed inside or outside of the parting line at any stage of the core/cavity construction. FaceWorks allows you to use associative mold design enabling you to introduce temporary model modifications that simplify the generation of the parting line and parting surface using solid modeling techniques.
- Automatic skin generation
- Skin validity check
- Selection of forming plate dimension and form
- Automatic creation of associative relation between model core and cavity
- Updating the core and solid cavity model changes
- Exploded view of mold assembly
FaceWorks enables SolidWorks users to design the following types of molds:
- Plastic injection molds for automotive details (head-light)
- Rubber molds
- Vacuum pressure casting
- Lost-wax casting
- Alloy casting
- Sheet metal dies
FaceWorks provides multiple configurations to meet the different requirements for all SolidWorks users:
- FaceWorks - FaceWorks standard configuration is node-locked.
- FaceWorks Float – Allows multiple users to share FaceWorks licenses across a network.
- FaceWorks Lease – FaceWorks is also offered as an annual subscription basis.